When all else fails, read a great book! Plop in your favorite chair with a blanket or a dog and immerse yourself in another world. Reading is an escape and place to relax and enjoy writers of all genres. I am fairly non discriminating although I probably love fiction most of all. I hope you enjoy the books I am reading. My goal is to read one great book a week!

Friday, April 10, 2009

The Rope Walk By Carrie Brown

This book was recommended to me by a friend who is also a librarian. I was in need of this particular book. Set in Vermont, where I went to college, the descriptive quality of the writing stands on its own merit. The premise of the story itself is so touching and stirs up memories of childhood summer for the reader.

Carrie Brown, the auther, transforms the reader to the magical qualities of what is intriguing, interesting and even frightening for the two main characters who are 10 year old children. The book also serves as a reminder of the diversity of the child mind and non-judgemental qualities that keep the innocence of a child in mind.

The two main characters, Alice and Theo, meet at Alice's 10th birthday party where we also meet her older brothers and father. Family history evolves as does the instant friendship of Alice and Theo. They in term form an unusual bond with an adult neighbor suffering from AIDS. In the hopes of helping their adult friend, the two children work diligently at creating a path in the woods for their adult friend Kenneth.

For anyone who is a reader, family minded and childlike inside, this book will haunt you with the beautiful language and final message. This is a must read again for me and I will hunt out other books by this magical auther.

No comments:

Post a Comment