When all else fails, read a great book! Plop in your favorite chair with a blanket or a dog and immerse yourself in another world. Reading is an escape and place to relax and enjoy writers of all genres. I am fairly non discriminating although I probably love fiction most of all. I hope you enjoy the books I am reading. My goal is to read one great book a week!

Monday, April 13, 2009

The Girl With No Shadow by Joanne Harris

I can't believe I was fortunate enough to find two great books to read this week. Anyone who has seen the film Chocolat will find this book as endearing as the movie and better as a book. This is of course, the sequel to the book Chocolat!

This is like a modern fairy tale set in the darker parts of a modern day Paris. Magic, witchcraft and the inordinate development of relationships is magically crafted by Joanne Harris. The characters are believable, loveable and in some cases despicable. Being the reader, you can sense what is happening in the course of the book and you want to desperately help the main characters.

I savored this book and halfway through it called my sister in Utah to recommend it. I have not read Chocolat, but based on this book, it will be my next choice to read. Lovers of chocolate will find that the magic of making chocolate is believable in the effects such deliciousness has on the soul.

This is a great read!

No comments:

Post a Comment