When all else fails, read a great book! Plop in your favorite chair with a blanket or a dog and immerse yourself in another world. Reading is an escape and place to relax and enjoy writers of all genres. I am fairly non discriminating although I probably love fiction most of all. I hope you enjoy the books I am reading. My goal is to read one great book a week!

Friday, January 23, 2009

Second Nature by Alice Hoffman

Okay, I have read every book that Alice Hoffman has ever written. My first book that I read by her was called The River King. Imagery that is written like fine poetry haunted me from the first page to the last and I found myself in tears at the end. It was dark and haunting and much like a fairy tale with a realistic twist.

Second Nature came next and I was immediately transfixed again. I did not want the book to end. This particular book really looks at how society sees anyone who is raised differently from the norm and immediate suspicions of that person. Robin Moore is the main character who saves a man who everyone believes is a beast. It is never her intention or his, but a fantastic trust and love develops that no one in the outside societ can understand or believe. Again, it is like a modern day fairy tale where you hope that wickedness and ignorance can actually be overcome.

Alice Hoffman is an incredibly gifted storyteller....I just wish there were more books of hers that I could read.

5* out of 5*

No comments:

Post a Comment